Aromatherapy and “doing essential oils” seems to be a huge fad all of a sudden. Now, I’m really grateful that aromatherapy is back in vogue but part of it is really concerned about this new “fad”. Today, I’d like to educate you about aromatherapy (the real profession) with 5 reasons aromatherapy should be part of your healthcare.
Honestly, you don’t need to be a certified aromatherapist to wisely and carefully use essential oils for your health.
To earn my certification, I took over 300 hours of training in anatomy and physiology, chemistry and blending techniques to understand how pure essential oils react with your body. What that means for you is that you don’t need to spend so much time digging for honest and safe information because it’s right here on the Scented Balance website. I thoroughly understand the health benefits of essential oils and how they can help you.
My spirits sink each time I hear someone proudly proclaim “I do essential oils!” when in reality, they don’t have a clue what they just said. Unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of misinformation floating around which actually does more harm than good.
I learned a conservative and sustainable method of aromatherapy. I’m not here to push oils on you that you don’t need; I’m here to help you safely and wisely improve your well being and to help you take charge of your health.
There are companies out there that recommend using a huge (and unnecessary) amount of essential oils as well as taking them internally – seriously – STOP! It takes a clinical aromatherapist or naturopathic physician with a lot of training to guide you through safe internal dosing. Truthfully, more is not better.
Why Aromatherapy Should Be Part of Your Healthcare
Using essential oils in your daily routine improves the quality of your life simply and easily. Let’s see how.
- Essential oils have chemical properties that are anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, wound healing, expectorants (great for congestion), immunostimulants and analgesic – just to name a few. What does this mean for you? Instead of reaching for yet another pill with negative side-effects that can do lasting damage to your body, talk to a certified aromatherapist about your concerns first. Essential oils were used as medicine many years ago up until the big pharmaceutical companies got involved in the mid-twentieth century and created a toxic cocktail of chemicals.
- Aromatherapy offers a complementary method that works well with your current healthcare regimen. Most essential oils will not interfere with your doctor’s prescribed medication. Be aware that some oils can interfere especially if you are on anti-depressants or blood thinners.
- A certified aromatherapist can guide you with solid knowledge of essential oils (and how they work) to help you physically, emotionally and mentally. Each oil has its own chemical makeup that addresses physical issues and also has energetic properties that help you with such concerns as stress, anxiety, depression, anger and grief. This is another instance where it makes sense to talk with a certified aromatherapist and use plant-based products before you reach for that chemical cocktail.
- Essential oils – used correctly – can help you with little health concerns that you and your family deal with before they become full-blown issues that require a trip to the doctor – or worse. Concerns like headaches, sore muscles, mild depression, sinuses, colds and flu, indigestion, eczema, psoriasis – these are all areas where essential oils are a viable solution.
- Essential oils offer viable alternatives to a myriad of chemically-laden products we use on our bodies and in our homes. Why does this matter? Try reading a label on your shampoo, body wash, facial cleanser, insect repellent, bath/tub/tile cleaner and room sprays. If you aren’t scared of these ingredients then you aren’t paying attention. The chemicals found in these products are toxic and damage your organs, sap your energy and make it harder to stay healthy. Maybe you don’t think it’s important right now because you’re healthy, but even 10 years from now, these products will slowly sap your health. You haven’t made the connection yet and neither has the medical world. (Actually, the medical community has made the connection, they just don’t want you to know about it.)
People come to my studio and my booth at the markets and talked about their fear of not having health insurance. You talk to me about losing your insurance; about how to stay as healthy as possible when you can’t see your doctor on a regular basis; you ask me about affordable alternative methods to keep you out of the doctor’s office. You also ask me about your headaches, indigestion, stress, anxiety, depression, eczema, chronic pain and many other concerns you have.
It bears repeating that I am not a doctor or healer. I cannot heal you and neither can your doctor. Only you can heal you – period. What I offer as a certified aromatherapist is my knowledge, compassion, empathy and the amazing wisdom of nature to help you help yourself.
The aromatherapy tools I offer give you a choice in how you heal yourself. The health benefits of essential oils have clinical trials to back them up just like traditional prescriptions do.
Aromatherapy and Traditional Medicine
Yes, we need traditional Western medicine but, I believe the medical system has failed us miserably. Sometimes, aromatherapy is not the answer and we need modern medicine to help with major health problems. Essential oils cannot address seriously advanced diseases such as heart disease and kidney failure.
Sometimes, traditional medicine is the only answer. BUT, there are many times when homeopathic remedies such as aromatherapy work perfectly well without all the negative side effects. That’s when a skilled certified aromatherapist (like me, for instance) can make a real difference.
Think about this example. When you tell your doctor you’re experiencing depression, you’ll get a prescription for anti-depressants that make you feel sluggish, affect your sex life, numb your thinking and increase the chance of suicidal thoughts.
If you don’t get the prescription filled, you take a chance on being labeled “non-compliant” and that’s when the insurance companies get cranky.
What that prescription anti-depressant does is treat the symptom and not the cause.
How does this really help you?
Do you really want to give up a glass of wine and good sex to walk through life in a foggy, disconnected state? Wouldn’t you rather get to the root cause of your depression with some sensible aromatherapy and life coaching and function clearly at the same time?
It is a proven fact that by taking the chemical prescription drugs, you have to heal twice. Once from the malady itself and the second time from the toxic treatment you took.
We’re watching more television than ever and being bombarded with commercials for the latest and greatest drugs. All you have to do is go to your doctor, tell her that you saw this drug advertised on TV and now you can miraculously cure 40 years of poor lifestyle choices with a magic pill.
What no one wants to hear about are the side effects of that pill. Swelling of the throat and tongue, tears in your stomach lining, skin rashes, numbness in your limbs, increased chance of stroke and heart attack and the possibility of death are just a few of the many side effects of chemicals.
Several years ago, aromatherapy found me and I learned the power of holistically helping people feel better in every area of their life. Aromatherapy and holistic life coaching both spoke to me so deeply that I had no choice but to train in these amazing modalities.
I am so grateful when people tell me that the product I painstakingly created has made a difference in their well being. More than that, I am proud to offer a sensible tool that doesn’t wreak havoc with your health or your pocketbook.
I want to help you help yourself. The best way you can take charge of your health is by looking for answers – honest answers to your concerns. That’s where I come in. Fill out the short contact form right now and let’s get started today.