GAH – I have itchy skin all over and it drives me crazy!!! Yes, it’s a short drive. One would think the itching could wait until winter. One would think.
Summertime humidity and heat are every bit as hard on your skin as dry cold wintertime air. Because you sweat in the summertime, you may not realize how parched and dry your skin really is.
What can you do for your itching skin? Well, you could go to the drug store and buy commercial lotions or creams that are full of phthalates, sodium laureth sulfates and parabens – chemicals known to disrupt your hormonal system, cause hair loss as well as damage your liver and kidneys.
— OR —
You could use an aromatherapy blend which not only soothes your itch, it’ll nourish your skin as well. Oh – and your liver and hormones will LOVE you!
People come to my studio and visit my booth at fairs, festivals and farmer’s markets and talk to me about their dry, itchy skin (among other things) and how the commercial stuff doesn’t do them any good. When you use the toxic commercial stuff, your skin feels better for a little while, but in a very short time, you’re right back where you started with itchy skin all over.
What Causes Itching Skin?
The scientific term for itching is pruritis and it’s caused by any number of things:
The pruritis causes a sensation under your skin that makes you scratch. When you scratch your skin, you tear it – you may not be able to see it with the naked eye, but you’re tearing your skin which lets in bacteria and causes all sorts of problems. Especially if you’re diabetic. You can read more about diabetic skin issues in this post and this post.
Aromatherapy and Good Essential Oils for Itching Skin
Moisturized skin is beautiful and beautiful skin looks good naked! #WannaLookGoodNaked At Scented Balance, you’ll find products to nourish and restore your skin AND help the itch right away.
- PsoMaxx Salve for Psoriasis and Eczema is ideal for cracked and itching skin. It’s also great for cracked heels – don’t forget your feet!
- Nakedly Natural Deep Hydration Body Lotion is completely unscented and very light. It’s great for compromised skin as it contains Heal All and Allentoin to nurture your skin.
- Nakedly Natural Deep Hydration Body Butter is perfect when you live with eczema or psoriasis. The worst thing you can do when you live with these issues is to let your skin dry out.
There’s a number of essential oils that nourish and restore your skin. In almost all cases, you need to dilute them with a good carrier oil such as organic coconut oil. If you don’t like the coconut oil, get some Argan, Evening Primrose or Jojoba oil to help your skin. These are the top essential oils for itching skin:
- Lavender is excellent for your skin. This is the one oil you can use neat. Lavender promotes skin healing as well as being anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. This oil is safe for kids 2+
- Patchouli is cooling, helps stop the itch and fleas and mosquitoes don’t like it! This oil is safe for kids 2+.
- Peppermint is another cooling oil that stops the itch in its tracks. It’s also an analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- Geranium is an anti-inflammatory oil that calms irritated skin while its regenerative properties encourage the growth of healthy new skin cells. Geranium essential oil also accelerates healing of wounds and skin irritations. This oil is safe for kids 2+.
- Tea Tree is good for your skin and your respiratory system! It’s used to holistically treat many kinds of skin conditions and ailments. Loaded with anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties, tea tree oil can address a variety of skin ailments. This oil is safe for kids 2+.
This isn’t a definitive list by any means, but it’s the most common essential oils that really make a difference for your dry itchy skin. Just for being a loyal reader, you can take 20% of PsoMaxx Salve for Psoriasis and Eczema, any of the Nakedly line of Body Butters and any of the Nakedly line of body lotions with this code:
Just apply the code when you check out through August 7, 2018. That’s my birthday gift to you!
Can you imagine how your life will change when you take care of your dry itchy skin? Look good naked and nourish your skin – let me know how I can help you. Just fill out this contact form and let’s get started today!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.