Yes, I know. It seems like I'm harping on the flu. But there are some ridiculous myths about the flu that can make you really - really - sick! And we're STILL in the middle of flu season!
Like nearly everyone, I’ve had my emotional ups and downs at different points in my life. Sometimes, life-altering events blindside you and next thing you know, you’re a mess. Okay – at least I am. When that happens, you can easily support and balance your emotions with aromatherapy.
Pure essential oils are ideal for balancing your body, mind and spirit. Since they’ve been used for thousands of years, through observation (and testing) we know that certain oils help with certain emotions.
How Do Essential Oils Help With Emotions?
Essential oils have naturally occurring chemical constituents that work in synergy with one another. Once inhaled, the aroma of a pure essential oil goes to work through your limbic system.
I could give you the 60-minute explanation of your limbic system but I won’t. :)
I’ll just tell you that it’s the innermost part of your brain and home to your emotions. Your sense of smell is the only one that’s connected directly to the limbic system.
What that means is when you inhale a pure essential oil from the bottle, it immediately gets into your system and starts working its “magic”. This doesn’t work with a fragrance oil, by the way as many of them are synthetic chemicals which your body doesn’t recognize.
WiseGeek.com offers a really good explanation of the limbic system:
The limbic system is the home of emotions, motivation, the regulation of memories, the interface between emotional states and memories of physical stimuli, physiological autonomic regulators, hormones, “fight or flight” responses, sexual arousal, circadian rhythms, and some decision systems. It is what gets “duped” when people get addicted to hard drugs.
Why is this important? Because scents can affect your mood as well as trigger memories.
If you’ve ever smelled a rose and immediately thought of your grandmother, your limbic system was involved. That scent triggered a memory and its’ associated emotion. Your sense of smell sent a message to your limbic system and almost instantly, your emotions and body were affected.
That’s why aromatherapy works so well for your emotions.
Aromatherapy and Emotions
Here’s a list of a few oils and how they help your emotions:
- Bergamot is excellent for anger, anxiety, depression, exhaustion, fear, insecurity and stress.
- Lavender is universally known for its ability to calm and balance.
- Sweet Orange is ideal for lifting your spirits.
- Palo Santo works well for depression, fear, grief and loneliness.
- Frankincense helps with grief and fear.
- Feeling irritable? Try Lavender and Neroli.
- Peppermint and Rosemary work well for fatigue.
You can inhale, diffuse or mix the essential oils with a carrier oil and apply to your skin.
I currently create blends with over 130 pure essential oils and can easily create a blend for just about any emotion – including happiness and peace!
What’s the difference? Anxiety Ease helps you with anxiety and panic attacks. Peaceful Ease works well with anxiety and depression. I’ve also made my own blends for anger, grief, fear and even for letting go of a situation.
Aromatherapy should not be used as a miracle cure for severe emotions but it assists greatly when life gets out of sorts. Proper and daily use of pure essential oils can support and enhance your emotional outlook.
What emotions are you dealing with? Let me show you how aromatherapy can help you and your emotions. Fill out this contact form and let’s talk today.
P.S. Who do you know that could use an emotional boost? Please share my name with them – I’d love to help!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Valentine’s Day is this week – ah, the day of love. I’m more interested in a little self love on Valentine’s Day so I have one question.
Why do we need one day a year to really focus on love?
Focusing On Love Every Day
My beliefs have changed over the years (I’m sure yours have, too) and here’s something I live by:
We are all connected.
In talking with a friend of mine the other day, she said something that really spoke to me. She said, “when you love yourself and practice real self-care, that goes out into the universe and helps everyone else, too.”
Today, I’d like to share a little bit of love and send all sorts of good vibes out into the universe. This is an excerpt from the Beautiful You Manifesto written by Rosie Molinary. You can read the entire manifesto – which is amazing – on the Beautiful You page at Scented Balance.
practice radical self-acceptance.
you are already worthy. you are always enough.
embrace your total wellness – your body, soul and mind guide you through this life.
you must take care of you. you teach other people how to treat you.
never forget that you have the right and responsibility to quit anything that hurts you.
What strikes me the most is the sentence about practicing radical self acceptance. Honestly, I never really thought about self love and self acceptance until I actually started writing down the words that I say to myself.
Yes, I’ve written about radical self love and self acceptance several other times. But it bears repeating as many times as it takes for women (in particular) to realize we are so much more than what society would have us believe.
Today, during this week of Valentine’s Day, take a look inward and see how you can love yourself just a little bit more. How about focusing on treasured friendships (especially your gal pals) instead of the hype?
I’ve always thought that Valentine’s Day is incredibly high-pressure and overblown. Romantic love can be fleeting and messy and for some, Valentine’s Day is miserable.
For the few people in my life that I dearly love – I let them know as often as possible. Otherwise, it becomes just like the day after Christmas – everything goes back to normal and the cease-fire ends.
I’ve created a beautiful blend for practicing self love.
Self Love Blend
- 5 drops Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
- 3 drops Neroli Petitgrain Co-Distill (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
- 2 drops Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorium)
- 2 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
- 10 mL Jojoba Wax
- 10 mL roller bottle
Combine all ingredients and roll on your heart area three times daily.
In the next few days, I have a new line of aromatherapy roller ball scents making their debut specifically for Chakra care. I’ve paid particular attention to the heart Chakra which is the center of love for yourself and others.
To celebrate friendships, I’m hosting a Galentine’s Day Get Together on February 13th from 7 – 9 PM at my newly renovated and oh-so-beautiful studio.
I want you to feel a warm welcome when you step into my studio and the first 10 Galentines will each receive a sample of the Heart Chakra blend. #galentinesday
I want each one of you to know how beautiful you are – inside and out. To each of you – you’re amazing with your own special gifts and I’m honored that you’ve chosen to be a part of my community.
Many thanks, blessings and much love to you always!
It’s that time of the year where the germs are flying around EVERYWHERE! Using essential oils for immunity will absolutely give you a leg up on all those sneezing and wheezing folks out there spreading their joy.
Why do we get sick more in the winter vs. the summer? There’s several reasons.
- Shorter days mean less production of Vitamin D and Melatonin
- We’re breathing mostly recycled air and getting very little fresh air
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) during the winter lowers your resistance
- The air tends to be much drier – germs like dry air
- More stress – wait – what?
Yes, we’re more stressed in the wintertime. The Straight Dope explains it like this:
Psychological (as opposed to physical) stress may also play a role. A study published last year in the New England Journal of Medicine reported that the more psychological stress people were under, the more likely they were to get colds.
All of the above combine to create the perfect storm and voila – we get more colds and flu in the winter.
Harvard University pretty much says the same thing but with lots more college words:
1) During the winter, people spend more time indoors with the windows sealed, so they are more likely to breathe the same air as someone who has the flu and thus contract the virus (3).
2) Days are shorter during the winter, and lack of sunlight leads to low levels of vitamin D and melatonin, both of which require sunlight for their generation. This compromises our immune systems, which in turn decreases ability to fight the virus (3).
3) The influenza virus may survive better in colder, drier climates, and therefore be able to infect more people (3).
How Do Essential Oils Help?
Essential oils are ideal for boosting your immune system and help you stay healthier in the long run. Here’s some of the best essential oils for immunity:
- Clove Bud (Eugenia caryophyllata) helps to minimize unwanted bacterial, viral, or fungal activity.
- Cinnamon Leaf (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) is powerful for immune support and can help reduce the presence of unwanted fungal or viral activity.
- Lemon (Citrus limon) helps boost your immune system and your liver loves it!
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) supports healthy lung function and boosts your immune system.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ct camphor) promotes healthy respiratory functions and helps when fighting a cold or flu.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) promotes balance and is antibacterial, antifungal and stimulates the immune system.
- Tea Tea (Melaleuca alternifolia) is antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, supports a healthy respiratory system and helps with cough and congestion.
There’s a whole bunch more, but honestly, with these essential oils, your immune system will absolutely love you (and hey, we’re getting close to Valetine’s Day – why not show some self-love?)!
You’ll find all of these amazing essential oils in an immune-boosting blend I created called Thievery Synergy Blend.
Diffuse a few drops in a cold mist diffuser, breathe it directly out of the bottle or dilute it with your favorite carrier oil or lotion and apply to your chest and neck at least 3 times a day.
Want the Scented Balance Thievery Synergy Blend? You can get it by filling out the contact form and I’ll ship it to you lickety-split! Aromatherapy can help you get and stay healthy through the seasons – I can show you how!
Thank you for stopping by – I’m grateful for you!
Information on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Consult your medial professional for any and all health concerns.