WOOHOO! There’s only 156 days until summer. I’m not a fan of long cold nights because my bones seem to ache more – do yours? Aromatherapy to the rescue – here’s some tips on using essential oils in the winter to help you feel your best during these way-too-long evenings.
Pure essential oils are excellent for a number of reasons; some are antibacterial and antiviral. Some help you with depression and can also help you soothe a cold or the flu.
Got a Cold or Need to Disinfect?
Cold and flu season is a bit scary this year and honestly, I believe mild depression is kicking in a little more for all of us this year. I’ve rounded up some oils to lift your spirits, help you with the sniffles and keep the germs at bay.
For cold and flu:
- Rosemary – helps your mind to feel clear and relaxed, helps with respiratory congestion
- Fir Balsam – helps keep your immunity and energy strong, eases muscle and joint pain
- Eucalyptus – opens your breath and clears out the cobwebs in your mind
- Tea Tree – restores vibrant, invigorated health after feeling unwell and clears the air of germs
If you’re really stuffy, you can use Congesties Shower Steamers which include menthol (and several other oils) to clear any congestion. Just opening the bag clears out your head!
For mild depression especially if you deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
- Bergamot – incredibly uplifting and helps with depression, anxiety, and tension
- Cedarwood – boosts your emotional strength and stability
- Norway Pine – strengthens and rejuvenates; supports your adrenal and immune system
- Neroli Petitgrain Co-Distill – unravels the cycles of stress and sadness – this is one of my favorite scents
If you don’t have these oils, Peaceful Ease Synergy Blend in a rollerball bottle helps immensely – I use this blend every day.
To disinfect, especially after an illness:
- Lemon – an amazing disinfectant, it also supports your immune system and smells wonderful
- Oregano – is effective for killing bacteria on household surfaces as well as human skin
- Tea Tree – fast, effective disinfecting and sanitizing and breathing it in can help your nasal passages
- Peppermint – a terrific anti-bacterial oil and it perks up your sagging energy
You can diffuse these oils – 2 drops of Lemon, Tea Tree and Peppermint and one drop of Oregano to clear the air. Or you can add 5 drops of each oil in an 8 ounce spray bottle and add filtered water. Shake well and clean your hard surfaces. However, I wouldn’t use them on granite or marble surfaces.
You can always diffuse any of these oils to support good respiratory health, more balanced emotions and to kick the germs to the curb – all good essential oils to use in winter.
How can I help you through these winter nights? Please reach out to me using this contact form and let’s talk!
Blessings and be well,