It’s that time of the year where the germs are flying around EVERYWHERE! Using essential oils for immunity will absolutely give you a leg up on all those sneezing and wheezing folks out there spreading their joy.
Why do we get sick more in the winter vs. the summer? There’s several reasons.
- Shorter days mean less production of Vitamin D and Melatonin
- We’re breathing mostly recycled air and getting very little fresh air
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) during the winter lowers your resistance
- The air tends to be much drier – germs like dry air
- More stress – wait – what?
Yes, we’re more stressed in the wintertime. The Straight Dope explains it like this:
Psychological (as opposed to physical) stress may also play a role. A study published last year in the New England Journal of Medicine reported that the more psychological stress people were under, the more likely they were to get colds.
All of the above combine to create the perfect storm and voila – we get more colds and flu in the winter.
If you haven’t gotten enough sleep on a regular basis, forget to wash your hands more often and don’t go outside very much, you’re just asking for a cold or the flu.
Harvard University pretty much says the same thing but with lots more college words:
1) During the winter, people spend more time indoors with the windows sealed, so they are more likely to breathe the same air as someone who has the flu and thus contract the virus (3).
2) Days are shorter during the winter, and lack of sunlight leads to low levels of vitamin D and melatonin, both of which require sunlight for their generation. This compromises our immune systems, which in turn decreases ability to fight the virus (3).
3) The influenza virus may survive better in colder, drier climates, and therefore be able to infect more people (3).
How Do Essential Oils Help?
Essential oils are ideal for boosting your immune system and help you stay healthier in the long run. Here’s some of the best essential oils for immunity:
- Clove Bud (Eugenia caryophyllata) helps to minimize unwanted bacterial, viral, or fungal activity.
- Cinnamon Leaf (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) is powerful for immune support and can help reduce the presence of unwanted fungal or viral activity.
- Lemon (Citrus limon) helps boost your immune system and your liver loves it!
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) supports healthy lung function and boosts your immune system.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis ct camphor) promotes healthy respiratory functions and helps when fighting a cold or flu.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) promotes balance and is antibacterial, antifungal and stimulates the immune system.
- Tea Tea (Melaleuca alternifolia) is antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, supports a healthy respiratory system and helps with cough and congestion.
There’s a whole bunch more, but honestly, with these essential oils, your immune system will absolutely love you (and hey, we’re getting close to Valetine’s Day – why not show some self-love?)!
You’ll find all of these amazing essential oils in an immune-boosting blend I created called Thievery Synergy Blend.
Diffuse a few drops in a cold mist diffuser, breathe it directly out of the bottle or dilute it with your favorite carrier oil or lotion and apply to your chest and neck at least 3 times a day.
Want the Scented Balance Thievery Synergy Blend? You can get it by filling out the contact form and I’ll ship it to you lickety-split! Aromatherapy can help you get and stay healthy through the seasons – I can show you how!
Thank you for stopping by – I’m grateful for you!
Information on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Consult your medial professional for any and all health concerns.