In my last post, I talked about why hemp is helpful for depression. Along with depression, there’s other benefits for your daily health, too! Here’s 5 reasons to use hemp everyday.
Just so you’re aware, there’s headlines everywhere claiming that hemp can fix a whole lot of health problems. Some of those claims need more than just a grain of salt.
Honestly, there is no miracle cure for any form of disease out there.
Your body is an amazing and complex machine and does good job of healing and balancing itself with the right tools. Western medicine – or should I say big pharma – has created all sorts of pills to fix what ails you. Watch any television commercial for a drug and you’ll see lots of happy people who feel amazing because they took a pill.
Then listen for all the side effects of these pills. Tell me how synthetic chemicals heal?
Ah, but I digress…
What is Hemp and Why Does It Work?
Hemp and cannibis are different varieties of the same plant species, Cannabis sativa.
As we all know, cannibis is usually grown because of the THC and mostly for getting high. On the other hand, hemp plants have had the THC largely bred out of them, according to a report published in Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences.
Hemp is a renewable resource that’s grown and used for a number of commonly used products including textiles, insulation, food, paper, supplements and skin-care items. This is good news!
Your body naturally has an endocannabinoid system (ECS) which is a complex cell-signalling system first identified in the early 1990’s. In that system, you have two main receptors called CB1 and CB2. Healthline.com offers a good explanation of these receptors:
There are two main endocannabinoid receptors:
- CB1 receptors, which are mostly found in the central nervous system
- CB2 receptors, which are mostly found in your peripheral nervous system, especially immune cells
Endocannabinoids can bind to either receptor. The effects that result depend on where the receptor is located and which endocannabinoid it binds to.
For example, endocannabinoids might target CB1 receptors in a spinal nerve to relieve pain. Others might bind to a CB2 receptor in your immune cells to signal that your body’s experiencing inflammation, a common sign of autoimmune disorders.
This is why hemp is such a good tool to help your body do what it does best – find balance.
5 Reasons to Use Hemp Everyday
With that short class in the workings of the ECS, let’s take a look at how hemp helps you.
- Inflammation. This is a big one. Inflammation is an immune system response. When your immune system is on “high alert” because of inflammation, many diseases can take hold. Hemp is rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids which can reduce inflammation.
- Skin Health. Dry skin is a problem in an of itself, but the drier your skin, the greater chance of infection. Hemp moisturizes your skin and helps conditions such as acne, rosacea and eczema.
- Chronic Pain. Hemp is helpful as a natural analgesic especially if your pain is caused by inflammation. A 2018 review talks about CBD, one of the main compounds in full-spectrum hemp oil, and shows real promise to treat many types of chronic pain.
- Brain Health. The fatty acid content of hemp seed oil may also be good for the brain, which requires plenty of healthy fats to operate properly. Hemp seed oil is good for inflammation which may help protect the brain. Chronic brain inflammation is linked to depression and other cognitive and mental health problems.
- Heart Health. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the world. Hemp seeds contain high amounts of arginine (an amino acid) which produces nitric oxide in your body. Nitric oxide is a gas molecule that makes your blood vessels dilate and relax, leading to lowered blood pressure and a reduced risk of heart disease.
There are many more areas where hemp (and CBD) are helpful, but these areas I listed above have scientific research to back up the information.
As a professional aromatherapist, I know how helpful pure essential oils are as anti-inflammatories and analgesics. Using aromatherapy along with hemp extract and hemp seeds offers another tool in your healthcare toolbox.
The best part? Your body knows the difference between synthetic chemicals and plant chemicals. Your liver has to process all those chemicals which sometimes causes toxins to form. Those toxins (especially in over-the-counter pain medications) can cause long term liver damage.
And I trust nature over chemists any day!
Please take a moment to share this post with your friend or family member who could use help with their health.
Blessings and be well!